I would like to bring to your attention the unforgettable experience I had at the Holocaust Centre this summer. The centre enlightened me with knowledge about the Holocaust and the discrimination that the victims of the Holocaust were forced to face. The doors to the museum that opened were marked with Jewish letters and with fire and smoke, and it represents a tragedy that some don't even want to believe existed. It was starting of the experience of a lifetime.
The metal doors opened and the darkness revealed images of famous Jewish people and explained how they helped the society. There is a room with the names of the families that had died in the Holocaust. In that room I was able to see a Torah that had not been burnt during the Holocaust and was brought to North America by an American soldier. I was also able to learn about a loving and caring teacher who died during the Holocaust along with his students. The teacher wasn't of Jewish background but was teaching Jewish children. He was offered a chance to leave but he chose to stay with these children and was killed. I watched a video explaining the attrocities that were done to the Jewish people and I saw a map that showed the population of Jewish people that lived in each European country. This centre is a museum that reveals the Holocaust and it's a great place to learn about the horrific events that took place in Europe. During the Holocaust, not only six million Jews were murdered, the Nazis also murdered five million Christians, Muslims, Romans, political people and others.
I am now a witness to what happened to the victims of the Holocaust and I am here to advocate about what had happened to those who don't believe and don't have any understanding of these events and their impact on the world.
05 November 2009
Reflections on Poland and France: Samson
Read the words of Samson Jeyakumar, a student from Father Michael McGivney CHS, who participated in the excursion to France and Poland this past summer:

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment